5 Best Resume Formats with Examples For 2023
8 min read
How to choose the best resume format?
This question will haunt you if you are a fresher to intermediate in the job market. Selecting a resume format for your next job is undeniably complex as it depends on various factors.
Considering that, we are here to clear all the doubts and confusion related to the resume format selection in 2023. For that, we are answering the following questions:
- Why should you use a resume format?
- Which is the best resume format in 2023?
If you are getting too confused about selecting a suitable resume format, we recommend using HyreSnap Online Resume Builder.
It is an AI-powered resume-making platform that crafts job-winning resumes for every profile in easy steps.
As of now, let's move on and check the 5 best resume formats that you can use while building your resume, regardless of your profile:
Using a resume format provides several benefits that help you effectively present your qualifications and make a positive impression on potential employers. Here are some reasons why using a resume format is essential:
- Organized Presentation: A resume format provides a structured framework for organizing your information. It helps you present your qualifications in a clear and organized manner, making it easier for recruiters to understand your skills and experience quickly.
- Professional Appearance: A well-designed resume format conveys professionalism and attention to detail. It showcases your commitment to presenting yourself to potential employers in the best possible light.
- Efficiency: Resume formats streamline the resume creation process by providing predefined sections and layouts. This saves you time and effort compared to creating a resume from scratch.
- Reader-Friendly: A well-structured resume format makes it easier for recruiters and hiring managers to scan and review your resume. It highlights key information and allows them to identify relevant qualifications quickly.
- Consistency: Using a resume format ensures consistency in how information is presented throughout your resume. Consistency helps avoid confusion and provides a cohesive narrative of your skills and experience.
- ATS Compatibility: Many companies use Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) to screen resumes. Using a recognized resume format ensures that your resume is ATS-friendly and can be parsed accurately by these systems.
- Adaptability: Different industries and roles may require different types of information to be highlighted. Resume formats can be customized to emphasize the most relevant qualifications for a specific job application.
- Showcasing Achievements: Resume formats typically include accomplishments, achievements, and skills sections. These sections allow you to highlight your strengths and what sets you apart from other candidates.
- Guidance for Content: A resume format provides guidance on what information to include in each section. This can be especially helpful if you're unsure about what details to emphasize.
- First Impression: Your resume is often your first point of contact with a potential employer. A well-structured and visually appealing resume format makes a positive first impression and encourages further consideration.
- Customization: While using a resume format provides a structured foundation, you can still tailor the content to match the specific job requirements. This allows you to present yourself as a strong fit for the role.
- Ease of Updates: When you need to update your resume, having a format in place makes the process smoother. You can easily modify or add new information while maintaining the overall structure.
Resume formats can vary based on individual preferences, the industry, and the specific role you're applying for. In 2023, some resume formats remain popular due to their effectiveness in presenting your qualifications and experience.
Here are five widely used resume formats:
Reverse Chronological Resume
This format lists your work experience in reverse chronological order, starting with your most recent job. It's a standard format that highlights your career progression and makes it easy for recruiters to see your most recent accomplishments. It's ideal if you have a strong work history in a relevant field.
The functional resume focuses on your skills and qualifications rather than your work history. It's suitable if you're changing careers, have gaps in your employment history, or want to emphasize specific skills that are relevant to the job you're applying for.
The combination resume combines elements of both the reverse chronological and functional formats. It highlights both your skills and work experience. This format is helpful if you want to showcase your skills while also demonstrating your career progression.
Infographic or Visual Resume
Visual resumes incorporate design elements, graphics, and images to present your information in a visually appealing way. They can be effective in creative industries where design skills are valued. However, be cautious with this format, as some Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) might have difficulty parsing visual elements.
Digital or Online Portfolio
Instead of a traditional resume, you can create an online portfolio showcasing your work samples, projects, achievements, and other relevant materials. This is especially beneficial for roles in design, writing, photography, and other creative fields.
Remember, the best resume format depends on your individual circumstances, the job you're applying for, and the industry norms.
The reverse chronological resume format is one of the most common and widely used formats for presenting your work experience in a clear and organized manner. In this format, you list your work history in reverse chronological order, starting with your most recent job and working backward.
This allows recruiters and hiring managers to see your most recent accomplishments and career progression quickly. Each entry typically includes details such as the job title, company name, location, dates of employment, and a description of your responsibilities and achievements.
Here's an example of how a reverse chronological resume might look:
Reverse Chronological Resume Format Example:
123 Main Street | City, State, ZIP | Phone: (123) 456-7890 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/johndoe
Results-driven marketing professional with 5+ years of experience in digital marketing and a proven track record of driving brand visibility and engagement. Seeking a Senior Marketing Manager role to leverage my expertise and contribute to company growth.
- Digital Marketing Strategy
- Social Media Management
- SEO and SEM
- Content Creation
- Data Analytics
- Team Leadership
Senior Digital Marketing Manager
ABC Marketing Agency | City, State | June 2020 - Present
- Led a team of 4 marketers to create and implement successful digital marketing campaigns for clients, resulting in a 30% increase in website traffic.
- Developed and executed social media strategies, increasing followers by 50% and driving engagement by 40%.
- Collaborated with cross-functional teams to optimize website content for SEO, resulting in a 25% increase in organic search traffic.
Digital Marketing Specialist
XYZ Tech Solutions | City, State | January 2018 - May 2020
- Managed and monitored paid advertising campaigns on Google Ads and social media platforms, achieving a 20% increase in conversion rates.
- Conducted market research to identify trends and opportunities, resulting in the launch of a successful influencer marketing campaign.
- Analyzed website analytics to optimize user experience, leading to a 15% decrease in bounce rate.
123 Marketing Company | City, State | May 2016 - December 2017
- Assisted in the development of marketing collateral, including brochures, presentations, and email campaigns.
- Coordinated and executed trade show events, resulting in a 25% increase in lead generation.
- Managed the company's social media accounts and grew followers by 30% within six months.
Bachelor of Science in Marketing
University of ABC | City, State | Graduated: May 2016
References available upon request.
The functional resume format is designed to emphasize your skills, qualifications, and accomplishments rather than focusing primarily on your chronological work history.
This format is particularly useful if you have career gaps, are changing careers, or want to showcase specific skills that are relevant to the job you're applying for.
In this resume format, you group your skills and achievements under specific skill categories instead of listing your work experience in chronological order.
Here's an example of how a functional resume might look:
Functional Resume Format Example:
123 Main Street | City, State, ZIP | Phone: (123) 456-7890 | Email: email@example.com | LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/janesmith
Highly motivated and detail-oriented project manager with a strong track record of successfully leading cross-functional teams. Seeking a challenging project management role where I can leverage my organizational skills and strategic thinking to drive project success.
- Led the successful execution of multiple projects, resulting in a 15% reduction in project completion time.
- Proficient in project management software such as Microsoft Project and Asana.
- Managed and mentored teams of up to 10 members, consistently achieving project milestones on time and within budget.
- Skilled in team motivation and conflict resolution.
- Effective communicator with the ability to present project updates to stakeholders, clients, and senior management.
- Managed client expectations and maintained strong relationships throughout project lifecycles.
- Proven problem-solving skills in identifying project bottlenecks and implementing effective solutions.
- Streamlined processes, leading to a 20% increase in team efficiency.
XYZ Tech Solutions | City, State | January 2018 - Present
- Led cross-functional teams in the successful delivery of software development projects, ensuring adherence to timelines and quality standards.
- Collaborated with clients to gather project requirements and provided regular updates on project progress.
- Managed project budgets and resource allocation to optimize project outcomes.
ABC Consulting Firm | City, State | June 2015 - December 2017
- Assisted project managers in coordinating project activities, scheduling meetings, and maintaining project documentation.
- Conducted research and analysis to support decision-making and project planning efforts.
- Developed and delivered project status reports to clients and internal stakeholders.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
University of ABC | City, State | Graduated: May 2015
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM)
References available upon request.
The combination resume format, also known as the hybrid resume format, combines elements of both the reverse chronological and functional resume formats.
It allows you to highlight both your relevant skills and qualifications as well as your work experience, making it a versatile option for various job seekers.
This format is particularly useful if you want to showcase your skills and accomplishments while also demonstrating your career progression.
Here's an example of how a combination resume might look:
Combination Resume Format Example:
456 Elm Street | City, State, ZIP | Phone: (123) 456-7890 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/sarahjohnson
Experienced graphic designer with a strong portfolio and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite. Seeking a creative role where I can leverage my design skills to create impactful visual content.
- Created engaging visual content for social media, websites, and print materials.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Designed and developed responsive and user-friendly websites using HTML, CSS, and WordPress.
- Optimized websites for SEO and improved user experience.
- Successfully managed multiple design projects from concept to completion, ensuring on-time delivery and client satisfaction.
- Coordinated with cross-functional teams to meet project goals.
ABC Creative Agency | City, State | March 2019 - Present
- Collaborated with clients to understand design requirements and create visual concepts that align with their brand identity.
- Produced graphics for online and print campaigns, resulting in a 25% increase in engagement and conversions.
- Managed project timelines and communicated design updates to clients and internal teams.
XYZ Web Solutions | City, State | September 2017 - February 2019
- Designed and coded responsive websites, optimizing user experience across different devices and screen sizes.
- Conducted regular website updates and maintenance, ensuring optimal functionality and performance.
- Collaborated with developers to implement custom features and enhancements.
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design
University of ABC | City, State | Graduated: May 2017
- Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) in Adobe Photoshop
- Responsive Web Design Certification
Visit my online portfolio at sarahjohnsondesigns.com to view samples of my work.
References available upon request.
A visual resume format is a creative and visually appealing way to present your qualifications, skills, and work experience.
It goes beyond the traditional text-based resume by incorporating design elements, graphics, images, and other visual components to showcase your information in a more engaging and memorable manner.
Visual resumes are particularly effective for creative professionals and industries where design skills are valued.
You can add the following elements in your visual resume format to craft an impeccable resume in 2023:
- Header: The top section includes the candidate's name, contact information, and links to their professional profiles.
- Introduction: A concise introductory statement highlights the candidate's career goals and key skills.
- Skill Circles: A creative representation of skills using circular icons, each labeled with a specific skill area.
- Work Experience Timeline: The candidate's work experience is presented in a visual timeline format, showcasing the companies they've worked for, job titles, and the duration of employment.
- Project Showcase: A section dedicated to showcasing specific projects the candidate has worked on, with brief descriptions and accompanying visuals.
- Education: Details about the candidate's educational background, including the degree obtained and the institution attended.
- Contact Information: The visual resume ends with a section displaying the candidate's contact details and links to their online portfolio or social media profiles.
A digital portfolio resume format is a dynamic and interactive way to showcase your skills, accomplishments, and work samples using an online platform.
Unlike traditional resumes, which are typically presented as static documents, a digital portfolio allows you to present your information in a multimedia format, including text, images, videos, links, and more.
It's a powerful tool for creative professionals, freelancers, and anyone who wants to provide a comprehensive view of their work and capabilities.
Below are the key elements of a digital portfolio for job seekers in 2023:
- Home Page: The portfolio opens with a homepage that includes a brief introduction and a high-quality professional photo of the candidate.
- About Me: The "About Me" section provides a detailed overview of the candidate's background, skills, and career goals. It may also include a video introduction.
- Work Samples: The portfolio showcases a selection of the candidate's best work samples, organized by categories such as graphic design, web development, and branding. Each work sample includes images and descriptions.
- Project Details: Clicking on a specific work sample opens a detailed project page. This page provides in-depth information about the project's objectives, challenges, solutions, and outcomes.
- Resume Section: The candidate provides a summarized version of their traditional resume, including key skills, work experience, and education. This section also includes a downloadable PDF version of the traditional resume.
- Contact Information: The portfolio includes multiple ways to get in touch with the candidate, such as a contact form, email address, and links to social media profiles.
- Testimonials: A section dedicated to testimonials from clients, colleagues, or supervisors, highlighting the candidate's professionalism and expertise.
- Blog or Articles: If applicable, the portfolio may include a blog or articles section where the candidate shares insights, industry trends, and other relevant content.
You can use any of these above-listed resume formats to craft your resume in 2023. However, resume-building is not a piece of pie for everyone. If you are struggling too much to build a resume, check HyreSnap Online Resume Builder once.
It's powered by modern Artificial Intelligence algorithms and an intuitive user interface that helps every job seeker build technically strong, and ATS-friendly resumes in less than 15 minutes.
Check out the key highlights of this 21st-century resume-making platform:
We have listed the finest and most widely used resume formats above for crafting your resume next time. Using one of these resume formats will ease your resume-building process without affecting its professionalism.
For additional career-building assistance, please get in touch with our career experts at email@example.com. We will help you get your next job with the power of Artificial Intelligence in 2023.
Try Now for Free!